River Escapes offers a range of sightseeing, party and exclusive charter cruises – our aim is to offer something for everyone.
We offer cruises on the River Tyne and operate from Newcastle Quayside, next to the Gateshead Millennium Bridge.
- We operate two vessels – the Fortuna and the Coventina.
- The Fortuna – maximum capacity – 150 passengers
- The Coventina – maximum capacity – 43 passengers
- The Fortuna–has two fully heated lounges, and viewing areas on the foredeck and the roof decks. This vessel has access for up to 5 wheelchairs.
- The Coventina – has one indoor area with fixed seating and tables. This vessel has no wheelchair access
- A range of refreshments are available to purchase on all of our vessels.
- All of our vessels are licensed premises – fully stocked bars.
- Our staff are friendly, welcoming, highly trained and always available to offer assistance to guests at all times.
- Clearly worded leaflets are available describing the main facilities, types of cruises available, cruise timetable, prices and directions. The leaflets include our contact numbers, email and web site addresses.
- Our leaflets are widely distributed to other tourist venues, hotels, guest houses, caravan parks and Tourist Information Centres
- Special leaflets are produced covering
- Party Nights
- Exclusive charter cruises
- All the above information can be found on our website www.riverescapes.co.uk
- Our cruises are accessible by car. We are located on Newcastle Quayside – follow the A186 signs to Newcastle Quayside from the city centre. Public parking is available nearby at Sandgate, St Annes and Quayside car parks.
- For satellite navigation systems our post code is NE1 3DX
- River Escapes is also accessible by the Quay Link bus service. The bright yellow buses run approximately every 10 minutes – early until late, 7 days a week. The bus stop is located next to the Swirl and is located directly opposite our boarding point.
- The nearest railway station is Newcastle Central Station within approximately 20 minutes walk. There are taxi and bus services available outside the station.
- Accessible taxi services are also located in Newcastle city centre.
Arrival & Car Parking Facilities
- Car parking is public parking and charges apply.
- Ticket prices – please refer to our brochures or website for further information.
- Vehicles can drop off passengers at the Swirl walkway to allow disabled visitors access near to the boarding point.
- Access to the boarding point is on tarmac and paved walkways.
- River Escapes signs are displayed at the boarding point.
- Coaches can drop off passengers near to the boarding point and there is a coach parking available at the Sage Music Centre.
- A staff member will be located at the boarding point to greet guests and offer assistance if necessary.
- The sailing times for all of our cruises are listed in our brochure and on our website.
- Access to our boats is by a sloped walkway allowing easy wheelchair access (the slope on the walkway depends on the level of the tide however our staff are on hand to offer assistance if required)
- The pontoon boarding area is a non-slip surface.
- Access to the Fortuna is by secured gangway.
- Access to the Coventina is directly from our pontoon – passengers must be able to embark and disembark unaided.
Public Areas – General
- On each of our boats – all internal areas are located on different levels and do have steps to negotiate. Floor plans for each boat are available to view on our website.
- The Fortuna has access for up to 5 wheelchair users and staff are available to offer assistance at all times.
- Access to all areas is by walkways and stairs.
- The boarding area is a flat non-slip surface.
- Seating is available in:
- The lounge areas
- Table and chairs are also set out on deck areas.
- All seating and tables are fixed aboard the Coventina.
- There are toilet facilities on all of our vessels.
- We do not have disabled toilets however the toilets aboard the Fortuna are located on the same level as the access to the vessel.
- Hand-washing facilities are located in all toilets.
- There are refreshment and bar facilities on all of our boats – there are steps to negotiate to these areas however staff are on hand to offer assistance if required.
- Food can be purchased at the bar areas and brought to the tables.
- We are able to cater for visitors with special dietary requirements (private charters only) but please ensure that we are aware of any special requirements prior to ordering your food
- There are seating areas on the Fortuna with ample seating both outdoors and indoors.
- There is no smoking within any of the vessels – smoking is permitted however on the outer decks of the Fortuna.
- We regret we only allow guide and assisted dogs on our vessels.
- First Aid facilities are located in specified areas of all of our vessels and cruises will have a qualified first aider on board.
- Wheelchairs,mobility scooters and pushchairs can be stored for guests.